Why TanzaniaTanzania is an established mining nation. Accordingly it has:
- Mining and exploration success and demonstrated potential across the whole nation;
- Established policies, procedures and an effective Ministry;
- A local vendor network supplying tools and equipment to the industry;
- Access to an educated work force;
- Infrastructure suited to mining including rail, roads, ports, airfields, water access and energy.
It is the world's 17th largest gold producer and the 4th largest in Africa (2013) with annual production of approximately 46.6 tonnes (1.5 Moz Au). Large scale modern commercial gold mining has been ongoing in Tanzania since 1998. Presently, there are five of these mines in operation in Tanzania owned by World Gold Council members.
Currently operating in Tanzania are the following major gold companies:
- African Barrick Gold (Bulyanhulu, Buzwagi, North Mara);
- Anglogold Ashanti (Geita);
- Shanta Gold (New Luika);
- Resolute Mining (Golden Pride - decommissioned 2014)